Thursday, February 11, 2010

“Taking Sides in the Digital Revolution, Where Copyright Is the First Casualty”

This article brings up questions that I’ve had throughout this term. As a writer who hopes to publish something with substance someday I’d like to know how I will protect my writings and earn a living – if I choose to share them via the Internet.

Greg Kot’s “Ripped” sounds like a book that is meant to tell us “How the Wired Generation Revolutionized Music”. Kot, being involved in the music critics world at “The Chicago Tribune” for 20 years is excited about the revolution of sharing artistic vision. It is a wonderful thing but I think it could have its own negative consequences as well. I think youth is more accepting of the idea of giving it away than those still in the possessive era where protections are greater.




http://clipart.edigg.com/download/download.cgi

I tend to agree with Mark Helprin, author of “Digital Barbarism” (a clear and conspicuous public declaration of principles and intentions, often political in nature = manifesto or in this case “A Writer’s Manifesto”) about the importance of copyright protections! I do not like Helprin’s attack on the new culture of cyberspace. Perhaps it needs some tweeking to make it work in the best way for both the original artist and those who “borrow” work to create new. Helprin just sounds ridiculous and yes his “absurd rants corrode his credibility”. As time allows I will check out either “The Cult of the Amateur” or something similar for some credible arguments on the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifesto

Reference: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/09/books/19kaku.html?pagewanted=print

May 19, 2010 by: Michiko Kakutani

4 comments:

  1. Kathie I could not tell how old you are by your photo on your blog site; and I gather you must be a little older than most students at umd. i agree that there are pros and cons to Copyright issues for artists in particular. The music industry has lost so much money over the last decade and so has th movie industry too; sites like Creative Commons are great for people who may noy care if their talent is shared to the world (or perhaps waiting to be discovered) but it does hurt bands like the 'Rolling Stones, Bon Jovi, U2," and many more contemporary artists that have even complained about copyright issues. Many businesses have gone under in both the movie industry and the music industry as well, and I am old fashion and I still buy CD's and DVD's to support my artists' fot their talent to make me laugh and cry. Your cite is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathie, I enjoyed reading your blog and I am one of those youth this is more accepting of the concepts of creative commons and copy right. I am not a music junkie, or a movie junkie, or a photo junkie; those things are just not all that important to me. I do understand that industries are losing money with these new forms of copyright but I don't feel that bad for them. This is the way information and music is shared and all industries have to learn to cop with it and capitalize on it, or they will eventually go under.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the title you used for this blog post. I am a bit of a music, photo and video junkie. I spent years never giving a hoot about copyright until I created something and began to ask myself what would happen if someone used my work without giving me credit?

    Industries may be losing money but with every decade comes change in our society. When imperialism first began, the market was global for the first time and issues over media became global. Everyone adjusted. Now the market is online and the issues are there. Everyone should adjust and companies should take advantage of the fact that they can now reduce costs by going online. Creative Commons makes it easier to copyright. Now if we could just get some cyberspace laws established to ensure copyright and credit is assured to the appropriate creator...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too think about how, as a writer and musician, I will be able to protect and live off my future works. But I think its funny how some musicians will use these no or less copyright sites or post their un-copyrighted works on other internet sites to get recognized and then later condemn those who try to use their material to make something else or go on a suing spree when they get famous for others copyright infringements on their work.

    ReplyDelete