Sunday, March 21, 2010

Digital Convergence

by kandinski 
I think I am going to have to embrace the opportunities provided by technology as Digital Convergence is “the next hot trend”. Content on the internet converged with other content on the internet, “mixing personal content with copyright protected content” enables users to do many things. Using smartphones, laptops, internet enabled entertainment devices” users are getting more from their experience of technology.


The four industries that converge into one (digital  convergence) are the Information Technologies, Telecommunication, Consumer Electronics, and Entertainment (ITTCE). Clipgenerator is another entity I had not heard of (there are so mnay). Clipgenerator actually allows people to combine their “personal music videos with popular chart music” and then they can place them on “facebook, my space and beo.”

Not having given much thought to how photographs, text-only documents and simple illustrations became digitized I am still amazed by technology and how digitalization happens. Single “beeps” took digital sound “to very detailed audio encoding.”

Laptop computers common in the home today is where animated holograms will be some day as it now is in our image of the future. Siliwood, out of Silicon Valley, California for example and Hollywood, California bring the aspects of cinema digitalization, from our ordinary digital camera we use on holidays and everyday that has replaced the film stock, to replacing special effects with computer-generated effects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/q/index.php?title=Digital_convergence&printable=yes

CCNET is the center that is the result of convergence of a merger of technologies via “The Center for Convergence and Emerging Networking Technologies and the Center for Emerging Technologies. Wow! That’s a mouthful! The Center does research and accepts ideas from the community.

The concept of convergence in the first place is a friend to us, as students. The way we can use television, phone service, our laptop, photography, printed text and videos altogether to create a really cool homework project is ideal.

I especially like the Apple iPad. The lines were long for those who waited – I’m sure they got tired but I bet they are pleased. At least that’s what I have read. I don’t have the Apple iPad, but am considering buying it. Publishers are happy and believe there is money to be made but the quirks are being looked at and even though it is a process, the wait may be worth if for some journalists. A price on digital journalism is forthcoming and the work for the New York Times is going towards a “metered pay model for its content.

Steve Jobs is popular and was really into re-making the music industry. Now journalism is the top thing on his mind. Steve “believes democracy is hinged on a free press and that depends on there being a professional press.”


http://www.flickr.com/photos/ndevil/

Kindle is the tool I took a look at last year but I don’t like the way it looks, Boring! It did sell about 1.5 million in the last quarter of last year though.

This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.




The world premiere travel magazine Conde Nast is ready this month “to have some of their magazines ready” now that the iPad is out. I think the iPad is an exciting design and I think the 9.7 inch color display will be ok.


I’m not sure I am ready to let go of my precious huggable printed books but the lightweight and colorful design of the iPad is intriquing. The “Bits” article at http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/05/a-former-book-designer-says-good-riddance-to-print

makes a good point about it must be decided “whether the technology is a good match for the content.” Another good point is if it’s a good written piece – and that’s what is important it doesn’t matter what object is provided to read it. I can see myself propped up at my bed pillow holding the lightweight iPad rather than a book that I keep losing the book mark for or spill coffee on, when I am reading in the morning. Oops! I wouldn’t want to spill it on my iPad either. I will have to rethink this one.

In ten years it will all be figured out – this new way of storytelling!

and reading
by Foxtongue -

One of the first profiles I went to when I signed up for a Facebook account was Starbuck’s. www.facebook.com/Starbucks. Starbuck’s uses fan pages in Facebook to link to other websites. Nice when your in Starbuck’s and on their pages and you get the idea you want to go to see Lady GaGa (she’s coming to this area soon) and so you click on the link in the Starbuck’s page and you go to Ticketmaster and purchase your tickets. So simple.


The pages you set up on your site in Facebook is where you can find your fans. My friend should have a link soon where I can go to purchase O3World which is a healthy new way to lose weight through her Health Distinction website. All while on Facebook taking a break from answering all of my own messages and playing FarmTown. Not really. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marine-Phytoplankton-Health-Distinction/320944371278

Before setting up to market your business on Facebook – have an objective, set a goal because if its not clear what you are trying to do you can do it all wrong. Do you want customers? Well, isn’t that the point? Start small, use the correct pictures - the ones with the punch that is going to get them to open the door to your business. Get people to comment on your pictures and your useful information. You want to really get the idea of what your business is all about and what its personality is. Talk to your visitors like friends, all of them, keep it simple and always add new photos, videos and comments of other people who have used your products.

DO NOT: Don’t just tell them to buy! Instead engage, listen and keep posting new thoughts about your products – perhaps set up a contest or give-a-way to something. Like Candace who owns Sprinkles, a cupcake bakery – she gives away a free cupcake everyday after she and her husband post a password that fans can redeem for a free cupcake. I’m going to check this out just to see how it works exactly.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kellysue/


Yummy!

Aim your product to those people who may be interested in your product. How do you know who may be interested? You don’t really, but I think that those people who are fans on other pages similar to yours. In the Health Distinction example my friend could go to other health related pages and become friends/fans there and the effect could be amazing. Make comments on other pages of other health related sites.



Read the comments because you will get clues from them, for instance – “Hey, let’s go to Zerbo’s for lunch and I can replace some Goji berries and nut, because I’m out.” This comment tells the reader that this person likes to go for healthy food and just perhaps this person could be interested in Marine Phytoplankton. Try to be their friend!


When you create and ad, use keywords that will bring your target audience. Ads cost a little for the advertiser but I think it is minimal to all the money your product is going to bring to you in the long run. Mr. Meyers of the Marketing Your Business With Facebook article says “if one ad doesn’t generate enough hits within 24 hours, he pulls it and tries something new.” http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/12/business/smallbusiness/12guide.html?sq=How


Best advice – go slow, be fresh and be patient!

Otellini – I sure do like Italians!
Paul Otellini and Push 2 TV is bringing another great way to entertain us in our homes. Our laptops connected to our TVs and we can watch high-definition videos and other things. I’m wondering if this can be done without a high-definition TV. I doubt I and once again I don’t have all of the latest gadgets that help entertain me, supposedly. As someone who lived in a rural desert non-incorporated town for 12 years, without cable or water – I think I can do without this device, but if I ever have the opportunity to actually be entertained by this method I could change my mind, who knows.

Check out Paul Otellini at http://www.macworld.com/article/2010/01/Otellini_ces.html


He’s not bad to look at and while we are talking about sexy take a look at the fun facts from http://www.cnet.com/1990-11136_1-6299751-1.html?tag=tenyr_midCol;tenFlops


In 1998 the Apple iMac was considered sexy! Also the Motorola RAZR V3, the Apple iPod, the Sony PSP (with its built-in web browser and 4.3 in screen) this mini portable gaming device is SEXY, at least this article say it was in 2005. I took a look at the following video and didn’t see it. The fingerprints – nah!

http://reviews.cnet.com/consoles/sony-psp/4505-10109_7-30895581.html?tag=tenyr_midCol%3btenFlops

The top 20 gadgets of last year included these: iPod




No, that's not the iPod - that's the iX-Ray  - found on Flickr by slowburn 

Another favorite from the last 10 years is the TIVO, Google, Npaster,
Firefox and the Palm Pilot seen all around the conference tables where I used to sit before I became a student again.

The Motorola Startac, the Apple iMAC, the Sony Digital Mavica and the game "The Sims" - all were in the Top 10 List in the last 10 years.


Another favorite from the last 10 years is the TIVO, Google, Napster,


Firefox and also the Palm Pilo,t seen all around the conference tables where I used to sit before I became a student again.

The Motorola Startac, the Apple iMAC, the Sony Digital Mavica and the game "The Sims" - all were in the Top 10 List in the last 10 years.

Some dream gadgets can be found at http://www.cnet.com/1990-11136_1-6324359-1.html?tag=pwr10features;pwr10Border2


The Pascal is one – “laptop condensed into a PDA” MP3 player, phone, camera, high speed internet surfer.

Out of Palo Alto, California FROG Design brings UBIK – a phone – “ultra customizable sweiss Army Knife by design.” It can adapt to each user – it is the size of a 1.5 x 4” “Post-It” note amd 1/8” thick. http://www.199-11136_111---6329813-1.html?tag=dmg_right%bdmg-btn

UBIK.com

AVAILABLE IN 10 YEARS




by C. Rancio  
“UBIK is the title of a science fiction novel by Philip Dick” – an extension of the user

One more thing - I'm loving the digital picture frames.  All those dust collectors on your shelves can be downloaded and one device sits on your shelf. More space for plants.  No fingerprints on the loose pictures anymore from your relatives and friends flipping through the prints.  It's like the long tail - creating more shelf space.


Clips, pictures from Flickr - user friendly under the CC license of Attribution.  I love this place!
Information from the following websites: 
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/pda/2010/jan/28/can-apple-ipad-save-newspapers/print
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/05/a-former-book-designer-says-good-riddance-to-p
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Digital_convergence&printable=yes
http://dc.syr.edu/index.php
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/12/business/smallbusiness/12guide.html?sq=HowtoMa
http://www.macworld.com/article/145480/2010/01/otellini_ces.html
















3 comments:

  1. Wow, very insightful blog post! I learned a lot from reading this. I especially liked how you related the long tail to a digital picture frame - more shelf space. That makes a lot of sense, because the long tail allows essentially an endless amount of shelf space. Our world really is expanding at a rapid pace as far as technology goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello K,

    You may be around my age; but pictures are hard to tell and I like my real books too. I wouldn't mind not having an "Apple iPad," to read my college textbooks with because I plan on recieving (hopefully) A P.hD.and with my torn achilles tendon, and rotator cuff that would save me a lot of pain. I agree that the internet and being able to use digital convergent single-handheld devices is a must for our ever busy society we all live in today. I also enjoy being able to conduct my webbillpay from my iPhone, too. My iPhone is like gold to me and without it I do not know how I could manage with my physical condition right now. I cannot even drive my truck :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think digital convergence is the hottest, hottest multi-hottest trend out there if that's even a word. The majority of consumers will not purchase a gadget that only does one or two things. Most will want to buy something that keeps them connected to their email and social networking sites.

    I agree with you on the not being able to let go of books thing. I grew up with books on my shelf and buying an e-reader such as Barnes and Noble's "nook" or Amazon's "kindle" is something I doubt will happen anytime in the near future. This is an insightful blog post and shows that you understood the topic.

    I think if The New York Times goes ahead and puts a price on their digital journalism via the iPad, then digital newspapers may start making some more money.

    ReplyDelete